Supporting your career in English teaching
in the Japanese school system

Company SiteMap

School career in Japan

Private / Public school Team Teaching / Solo Teaching Direct / Dispatch Own Subject / OC (Oral Communication)
Domestic / International Students Urban / Rural Part Time / Full Time Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1) What are the some of the differences in working style between Japan and the West?

As anyone who had worked in a Japanese school before has probably noticed most Japanese teachers work very long hours every day. This is due to a number of factors but a lot can be explained by the amount of responsibility each teacher has. Most have home room duties, as well as after school club activities, report making and grading as well as looking after the well being of their students. Teachers are often at school throughout the weekend. This is particularly the case for directly hired teachers (even Japanese teachers are often hired as “part time”), a new teachers salary is also well below the standard amount for a Native teacher hired directly or through an agency.

If you want to enjoy your weekends off use your and spare time,spend how you want to maybe a dispatch agency is the best option for you?

If however you are ready for more responsibility you could consider private schools or direct hire.

Q2) I want to work in an international school, can you help me find a position?

We do not deal directly with International Schools at EduCareer, the number of positions is strictly limited and positions are always greatly oversubscribed. We believe that there are positions in regular Japanese schools that would provide a fulfilling and enjoyable working equal environment an international school. A position with us could however be that stepping stone that you have been looking for.

Q3) I don’t have a university degree, will this prevent me securing a position?

Unfortunately we require all candidates to have a valid degree from an accredited university, ideally a degree in English, Education or similar discipline. In order to receive a working visa in Japan it is a requirement that the applicant possesses at least a Bachelor’s degree or has many years of relevant experience.

Q4) I’m not a native English speaker, does this mean I will not be considered for a position?

Here at Educareer we believe that if you are a qualified teacher it will possible to find a position to suit you. Non-native speaker are often at a big disadvantage, especially when it comes to English teaching as many schools specifically ask for a native speaker but it may be worth considering teaching your subject as well as a language class. Why not register with us and see what we can do for you?

Q5) What kind of assistance is provided if I relocate?

This really depends on the school and contract, but generally speaking if you are moving into or around the Tokyo area financial relocation assistance is not provided. If you are moving into a rural area there is a possibility there may be some assistance but it is important you check this out before agreeing to the offered position.

Q6) What kind of holidays can I expect?

This also depends very much on the school and whether you are full time or part time. In general most schools have a summer holiday in August; however most full time teachers are required to be at school to supervise club activities etc. This is also the time when most teachers take their paid holidays. For part time teachers it is normal to have the school holidays as your holidays, however more often than not teachers are not paid during this time. Regular schools also have New Year’s and end of year (end of March) holidays. Regular teachers hired directly by the Board of Education are generally required to be at school even during the summer holidays.

If you want to take holiday when you want to, maybe school positions are best avoided?

Q7) Who will sponsor my visa?

Depending on what type of contract you have with the school will depend on whether you are direct hire with the school or through a dispatch company. If your contract is direct with the school it will be up to them to provide you documents to go to immigration, if is through a dispatch company they will sort things out. However, there are several factors that could prevent you from being successful in receiving a visa, one is not having graduated from university and the other is the salary you make. With part time work it is very difficult to find a visa sponsor, although it is possible to sponsor yourself if you find a good combination of positions to meet the minimum salary requirement.

Q8) Do you provide National Health and Pension contributions?

This will depend on the type of contract you have and the deal offered to you by the school. If you are direct then there is a chance that it will be included in your employment package. If you are through a dispatch company it is more than likely not included although it is worth checking with the company. The reason why teachers through dispatch agencies are not obliged to provide contributions is due to the type of system they use to employ teachers, it is called in Japanese “gyomu-itaku” and roughly translated means “service contract” i.e. you are essentially offering your services to the dispatch agency and are considered self employed.

Q9) I am not in Japan at the moment, will this prevent me from being considered?

Whilst being in Japan for interviews is a definite advantage, being overseas will not automatically exclude you from being considered for a particular position. However the vast majority of schools will request a face-to-face interview so if you are not in Japan at that time you may lose out on an opportunity. While we may have Skype and webcams, would you hire someone to take care of your children without meeting them first? If you are interested in an interview please register with us to be considered for an interview by our recruitment team.

I want to teach at a school in Japan

More about Japan's education system

Current openings

Become a member

Japan's education system

Become a member

Job Board

EduCareer Members

Members will receive exclusive job information

EduCareer Name

EduCareer Email

Want to bacome a member

Become a member






EduCareer Map

9 minutes from Nakano Station (Chuo/Tozai lines) South Exit

1 Chome-62-10 Nakano,
Nakano-ku, Tōkyō

Enter the Tokyo Community School building, call on the intercom telephone at the orange door.

Office hours : 09:00-18:00
Regular Holiday : Saturday/Sunday

Rinjin Blog

Available areas

Hokkaido・Tohoku[Hokkaido・Aomori・Iwate・Miyagi・Akita・Yamagata・Fukushima] / Kanto[Tokyo・Kanagawa(Yokohama)・Saitama・Chiba・ Ibaraki・Tochigi・Gunma・Yamanashi] / Shinnetsu・Hokuriku[Niigata・Nagano・Toyama・Ishikawa・Fukui] / Tokai[Aichi(Nagoya)・Gifu・ Shizuoka・Mie] / Kinki[Osaka・Hyogo(Kobe)・Kyoto・Shiga・Nara・Wakayama] / Chugoku[Tottori・Shimane・Okayama・Hiroshima・ Yamaguchi] / Shikoku[Tokushima・Kagawa・Ehime・Kochi] / Kyushu・Okinawa[Fukuoka・Saga・Nagasaki・Kumamoto・Oita・Miyazaki・ Kagoshima・Okinawa]

Recruiting countries

USA,Canada,UK,Ireland,Australia,New Zealand,South Africa,India,France,Germany,Spain,Italy,Russia,China,South Korea,Thailand,Indonesia,Malaysia,Mexico,Brazil